Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lena Horne

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCG3kJtQBKo

Don't know why there's no sun up in the sky
Stormy weather since my man and I ain't together
Keeps raining all the time, the time
Life is bare, gloom and misery everywhere
Stormy weather, just can't get my poor self together
It's raining all the time, the time

When you went, you went away, the blues walked in and met me
If he stays away, ol' rocking chair will get me
All I do is pray, the Lord above will let me walk in the sun once more

Can't go on, everything I had is gone
Stormy weather since my man and I ain't together
It's raining all the time

I walk around, heavy-hearted and sad
Night comes around and I'm still feeling bad
Rain's pouring down, blinding every hope I had
This pitterin pattering, beating and spattering drives Me Mad
Love, Love, Love, this misery's just too much for me

Can't go on, everything I have is gone
Stormy weather since my man and I ain't together
It's raining all the time, keeps raining all the time

Lena Horne born June 30, 1917, Brooklyn, N.Y., U.S. and died May 9, 2010, New York City. Horne left school at age 16 to help support her mother and Independently become a dancer at the Cotton Club in Harlem, New York City. Surprisingly, in two years at the Cotton Club she appeared with such entertainers as Cab Calloway where eventually she starred in her own shows. And her carear began from there.
This song came from her role in the film Stormy Weather, in 1943 which included her rendition of the title song, where it became her trademark. She became one of the most popular singers of her time.  Her first featured performance on Broadway, the musical Jamaica, (1957) won her a New York Drama Critics' Poll Award in 1958.
Many of her songs are about love and how she either is up or down. This song called stormy weather is about a low feeling towards her old companion. For example, she says, "Can't go on, everything I had is gone/ stormy weather since my man and I ain't together." Therefore, this states why she is feeling blue. But because her feelings are said to be a strom she knows her feelings will pass.

Why i chose to talk about Horne is because of her wide talent for a performer she also  worked with civil rights and political organizations. Moreover, as an actress, she refused to play roles that stereotyped African American women.

1 comment: